SLIDER

Photography Styles and the pigeon hole...

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Photography styles... Journalistic, Candid, Lifestyle, Natural Light, Modernistic. Whatever you refer to as your "style", what does that really mean these days?

I get the whole branding thing. Doing something that makes the images you capture something that is solely your own. And I see so many people capturing image after image that is categorized into a specific arena of photography. And I ask myself why?

Yes, at times there are images that I will come across on one of the more popular wedding photography blogs and I will say to myself "Yes, I will venture to guess that those images are by so-and-so." And more than not I would be correct. But lately I find myself having to look at the finer details of the image to tell one apart from another... meaning, somewhere amongst all the "current new hot things for wedding photography" we have lost our individuality. So I ask myself, was it lost, or was is never really there to begin with? Not to be harsh, but if you find yourself changing the style of your imagery to match the current trend then this is about more than the creativity for you.

I believe in adapting to new and unique concepts, ideas, etc. And with the ease of use, popularity, and down right impressive software and equipment available to even the weekend hobbyist, you're going to have to continue to change. But I believe that your artistic change should come from a natural progression of an artists works and not the excitement of being a part of next best thing.

With that said, here is a collage of some of our work, past and present. Our style really is not of any specific style at all. It is what ever that shoot, that couple, that emotion, that moment allows me to capture, and I hope this keeps people guessing...
ALWAYS!

Picture Package2

Picture Package4

Picture Package1

f3

Picture Package5

f2

f1