SLIDER

As the Olympics draw near...

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

It's 9 days until the Olympic Games of 2012 begin in London. I'm sick at the thought that we could have attended if we were still in Germany right now. :(

I can't wait to watch our United States athletes compete for gold. As most might assume, my favorite sport to follow is surely Gymnastics. Each and every year these little ladies perform routines that we were not even imagining back in my day. I am never not amazed at their talents.

Awhile back a commercial came on our tv from P & G that thanked Olympic Moms for their dedication to building our next round of Olympic hopefuls. I was on the couch in tears. I mean the "UGLY CRY" tears. My husband was lost??? "What is wrong with you baby...?" I couldn't even answer him, I just pulled the video up on YouTube and pointed to the screen.

This commercial is so my mother and I. She was the one waking me up early for practice, prepping meals, cheering me on from the side lines, crying with me at the failures and screaming with me at the successes. I never did make it onto the Olympics, but my dreams of that accomplishment and those of my mother still haunt me to this day.

In our own little ways I don't think either of us ever got over the loss of that dream. And although we have not spoke but 3 times in well over 10 years now, she is always in my thoughts and prayers and a video such as this just touches my heart.

Those were the happy days between her and I...

Much Love