SLIDER

The Picasso Shoot~

Sunday, November 9, 2008


Trash the dress... it surely is not for the faint at heart. I guess that's why it is quickly becoming one of my favorite things to shoot.
All my brides are fierce, strong, unique women all on their own. Which is probably why 3 of the last 5 brides I have photographed have finished off their wedding pictures, being artistic, original and daring by "trashing" their wedding gowns.
Today I was thrilled to see my bride Jolyn. It has been months, and us military wives always have so much to share. Jolyn came to me with the idea of painting her dress. I thought GREAT IDEA!!! Then I got to
work! As all my brides can tell you... my shoots are all about them. From the moment that lens cap comes off and the first pose is captured I am "in my zone" and everyone around me can see it. Its infectious, and I love it!
When I tell my clients that their ima
ges will be unlike anything else they can imagine, I work my tail off making sure of just that. Nothing I hate more than looking at someones portfolio and seeing image after image of client after client taken at the same spots over and over again. Where is the creativity in that I ask you??? How boring~ (yawn! :))
I set out to find the perfect spot for this shoot that I have now affectionately named the "Picasso shoot" (don't ask me why?) I remembere
d driving past a private gallery/ studio a few weeks back. I was unsure of just what type of art was created in this gallery but I decided to stop in and say hello~
Inside this big, beautiful studio I fell in love. The beautiful light, the high ceilings... this (I said to myself) is where I want to be in a few years. Yes, once my hubby is out of the military and we can put down some roots I am opening my own studio. Around the corner walked a women that I just knew I was going to love. This... this is the woman I see myself as when I am settled. Confident, I catch her strength through our first hand shake. Successful, I see the massive creations through out her studio. An artist to the core, I see it in her eyes.
I pitched my concept, I thought sh
e would just die! Her face, she looked mortified. Yes, like I said... this shoot is not for everyone. She took my card and said she would think about it. The next morning my phone rang, she was on board for this project, and on board she was. In one day she constructed an 5' x 6' canvas piece with a life sized image of Jolyn I had given her from our bridal shoot months back. It was AMAZING!!! I tell you, I work with some incredible people!
Our idea... the bride on the image comes to life. She is the art/ the art is she~
I have so many people to thank for the success
of this shoot. First and foremost THANK YOU- THANK YOU Donna for not only the use of your beautiful studio space, but for the art piece, the paint, the time and effort. You are amazing!
Thank you Nancy for handling the make up today! She
looked stunning!
Thank you to Dusty and crew for the video coverage. I ca
n't wait to see the final product!
Thank you to John, the whisper in Donnas
ear was just what I needed to make this all work.
And of coarse, thank you to my fierce and oh
-so-fabulous bride. You were fantastic!
Oh yes, thank you to my hubby. Without you, it just
wouldnt be as much fun. You make every day great!!!
Next time you are down off Broadway, go say hello t
o Donna Dobberfuhl at Sculptural Designs Atelier. Take a class, she will teach you how to sculpt like a pro in no time.
Here are some images form our day~

































Remember... "It's about creation, not destruction". (Trashthedress.com)

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Deborah,

I just knew you would make something wonderful out of that mass of paint splatters. Love the title! Thanks for the over the top compliments--you deserve the same. Wonderful job!!!

Donna