SLIDER

A Lake Carolina Christmas...

Saturday, December 10, 2011

This is our first year in our new home, and thus our first Christmas. While I spent a good portion of my weekend digging for, testing out, and assembling our holiday decor, I couldn't help but to think about where I was this time last year, and how extremely different the two have been.

Snow... as far as the eye could see there was snow. And it seemed to last forever that season. Keeping me cooped up in the house, venturing outside just long enough to grab some firewood and head back indoors scoring a juvenile attempt at building a fire. Instead, I proceeded to smoke out the entire first two floors and setting off every smoke detector in the place. Towards the end of the season I finally became an expect at building and sustaining those fires. But I'm in no hurry to practice those skills again anytime soon.

I missed the states. With homes full of lights and trees in the window, each decorated in its own magical way. But then I was treated to my first Christkindlesmarkt and I was hooked. The most memorable moment of that entire experience was the smells in the air. One moment from sweet candied treats. The next, to hot bratwurst and sauerkraut. And the gluhwein!!! That tasty little cup of warmth that keeps you in the spirit of the season. A tradition everyone looks forward too...

This year we ventured into our own little Christkindlesmarkt right in our new community. Our Town Center hosted a "Tour of Homes" where the streets were shut down to make way for horse drawn carriage rides through the neighborhood, caroling tractor trailer pulls, a live band playing holiday favorites, an open fire pit with a nearby table full of all the necessary ingredients needed to build your own s'more, and all the local merchants keeping their doors open extra late just to welcome everyone to the party.

I took the camera with me just for fun, hoping to capture some shots to add to our keepsake books. It was a magical evening!!!

a

b

c

f

e

d

h

j

g

i