SLIDER

Marching to her own beat...

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Annie Leibovitz...
Mention this name around any artistically inclined, educated photographer and they will surely have something to say about her. Some positive, some... not so much. Annie is a revolutionary artist. Her eye for the "out of the box" image made her work famous, straight out of the gate with her photographs of the anti-war rallies in San Fransisco back in 1970, which were so good they landed her the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine at the ripe age of only 21.
Since then, other famous and sometimes controversial covers have graced tens of covers for several famous magazines. One such well-known image could be of Demi Moore on the cover of Vogue, naked and 8 months pregnant. At the time this image hit news stands (1991), the controversy surrounding it was enormous! Now... Almost 20 years later, women all over the world are running to photographers to capture images of there round bellies in the buff.
Before her time? I would say so!

What caught my intrigue as I flipped through the pages of this months issue of American Photo Magazine, which is dedicated completely to Ms. Leibovitz, was her image of a tuxedo clad Steve Martin. He was standing in front of a painted canvas in his white tux. Both were covered with black paint marks. Right then I thought of my Rock the Dress images of my bride Jolyn at the gallery. I think if the reactions I receive from people when I mention, even show them the images from that shoot. Some really love it. Some, well again... not to much. They think it is too outside of the box.
But, that is the way I think... outside of the box. I want people to talk about my work. Whether they love, or they hate it... I want them to remember it! I am a realist though as well. As an artist I realize that my work will always be criticized one way or the other. Some positive, some not. I have also grown to realize that I cant please everyone. Nor, do I want to.
I want to please myself, I want to please my clients. If I can leave the set of a shoot and say "Wow! That was a great set!" Then I am pleased. Now, if the client feels that same way then I am beyond thrilled!!! That's the ultimate goal anyway, making the client happy. I came up with the painted bride idea never even knowing until today of the Steve Martin image.
So here's to being a goof! A little off. A little outside the box...
I wouldn't want to be anything else!

(Below images are from the American Photo publication on Annie Leibovitz April 2009 Edition) Right next to Steve Martin I am showing my painted bride subject... I'm not so crazy after all!!

n

2 comments :

shelia stone said...

true that sista!! :-)

Deborah Berard Photography said...

LOL! I'm gonna rock something some day! LOL!